This Project Is Complete
Leave it to me to be given a product to collaborate on and turn that collaboration into a project that encompasses an entire room. Here's the product, the project, and the before and afters.
I'll show you the product I built this project around in a minute.
First, let me show you a couple of "before" shots. I had not yet gotten around to redecorating following the holidays. It really needed to be refreshed. I had new picture shelves and some other new items that I received as Christmas gifts, but had not yet used them to redecorate.
Pretty boring. Nothing hung on the walls. No character or interest on the mantle. Definitely not the way I like things.
The item I received is from Coastal Faith, a GORGEOUS Reclaimed Wood Succulent Candle Display (SHOWN BELOW, candles not included).
Of course, when I received this gorgeous planter, I had to make it a focal point of the room. So, it needed to be on the mantle.
Piece by piece, my mind started going through various scenarios of how I should layout the room. How much should I put on the walls? Which pieces should I show?
But first, I had to patch the walls where nails had been and touch up the paint. Not a hard job, but one that needed to be done.
Next, the question was roaming through this rather large head of mine...should I repaint the mirror's frame? It's not exactly farmhouse. But, neither is the fireplace mantle, or the media center. There had to be some way to tie the various styles together.
I already had all of the pieces I would need to pull the room together. However, I had to be selective because I didn't want it to look like I threw up decor. I wanted it to look like I carefully curated the decor and painstakingly placed it in specific locations. Plus, I have turned into a kind of a minimalist, so there's that.
First, where should I place the clock? I really didn't want to add it to the wall. I didn't think it would look good to the side of the mirror. Where would it look good? Hanging in front of the mirror! Yes!
There had to be some way to do this without taking down this huge mirror and without having a cable hanging down over the mirror.
Solution! I found some "Contact" Velcro hangers. I was able to hang this right on the front of the mirror. Now, I had a floating clock! Brilliant!!
Next, I laid all of the other components out on the floor to evaluate the layout for the wall above the love seat. This way, I could envision the way and make as many changes as I wanted before installing.
I have some pretty, antique books that I placed over on the right side of the mantle, along with a small apothecary that I filled with natural twisted balls and painted natural items that I had on hand. I made sure to include natural browns, grays, and some pieces with pinks and burgundy colors.
Also added are the three candles on the item by Coastal Faith. I did purchase them, from Walmart. They smell like jasmine and vanilla...yum!
Now that the mantle is complete, the rest of the room looks like a disaster. So, time to get that whipped into shape.
To better envision the placement of the decor on my wall to the left of the mantle, I did some measurements and then used sticky notes...yes sticky notes...to show where the items would be placed. That way, I could stand back and visualize it more clearly.
Next, I placed light markings with pencil to show where to drill for the shelves and where to place each piece of decor. This way, I could wipe down the wall after I was finished installing, but actually have a plan so that hardware wasn't placed unnecessarily, wiping out the work I had done to patch and paint the wall.
Then, I anchored the shelves and installed them, and placed each item as planned.
One piece that I was particularly excited to install is this shadow box. I received it as a Christmas gift, and asked for it to display something very dear.
This little song book was my husband's grandmother's. We were able to take possession of it after she passed away many years ago. I have had it covered up, in a safe place, waiting to figure out where to put it. Now we have it protected, but on display. Wonderful!
Through this process, I realize that I need to get some large portraits printed of my family. We have recent ones, but they are all digital. So, that is a future project (like I need more of those).
Actually, I have another project that will be complete by the middle of this week, and revolves around some more collaboration products. This house is getting whipped into shape and I love it!
Leave a Reply.