For a while now, I have wanted to update my powder room. Years and years ago, I painted this little room navy. Here's the before and after, the process and what I did.
Here's where I started. It's a dark color, but at time, it was a fun thing to try with very little risk. It was a fun color and I did it on a whim.
I was also playing with poster prints and some pieces that I distressed myself.
So, I had to first take those items down. and get them stored. I also had to patch the walls.
I picked a paint...really just picked one on the spot. It has primer and color in one and really good coverage. Going with the lighter choice seems like the refreshing option.
Next, I took off the light switch cover, and the outlet cover, as well as the towel rack.
The first thing I painted was around the edges with a paint brush. I also painted the smaller nooks and crannies.
The next step was of course painting the rest of the bathroom. It did take two coats, but it is so worth it. What a refreshing color. Just enough color for there to be a contrast with the trim.
A note on the cabinets, I will be painting them white at some point, but not during this month.
I then touched up the trim. It needed it.
I bought 2 eight foot long primed MDF boards from Home Depot to frame the mirror. No, the angles were not pre-cut.
My husband (who is amazing) cut the pieces (approx. 42") and did the angles perfectly.
After cleaning the mirror and making sure it was dry, I secured the first piece of the frame on the bottom of the mirror with liquid nails.
Next, I secured another section, this time one of the side pieces. I made sure that the angles were tight together. I pressed again on the bottom piece so that it would continue to dry as close to the mirror as possible. I then repeated those steps on the right side and the top.
Once the pieces were secure, I used a clear seal across the seams. To do this, I added the seal in a small line, and then moved it with my finger. My finger was moistened, by-the-way.
While the mirror finished setting and the sealant set, I taped around the frame so that I could paint it.
A note on the paint, I painted the inner edges (including the edges of the under side) prior to installation so that the reflection of that part of the underside would look finished.
As far as the paint choice, I used the same paint as I used on the trim so that the contrast would match.
For this project, I got some stick-on tile from Mosaic Tile Outlet online.
I took measurements and then started to secure the sheets of tile to the clean wall.
I ordered 15 sq ft for this job, which wound up being perfect.
At first, I was installing the sheets one-by-one and it was somewhat hard to line them up properly using this method. So, after the first row, I fit the sheets together with the measurements I made.
There are areas that overlap and that makes it super easy to do.
I cut out measured areas for the outlet and the towel rack (super easy to do).
I used a rag to push down the sheets so that they attached well to the wall. I also used the handle end of a screw driver along the outer edge to secure the sheets so that there would be a seal.
Framing the mirror really made the powder room so much more finished, but the tile really gave the room the pop I was after.
Here are the before and after shots side-by-side. Pretty dramatic!